Thursday, June 10, 2010

Kota Kinabalu times four

We stayed in KK four times- using it as a base for all our comings and goings. It's a nice city - larger than Kuching - with lots of friendly people always smiling at us. It felt comfortable and safe but of course it was ridiculously hot and humid. We stayed in a place called Lavender Lodge where the staff greeted us warmly everytime we came back.

During our first stay (after Bario, before Brunei) we found several of those huge seafood / fish restaurants, but in KK all the dinner offerings are kept live in huge tanks. It was actually kind of creepy. But we turned our backs on all the eyes, scratching claws and waving tentacles and had a dinner of abolone and scallops.

KK wound up being the place for us to regroup and reorganize for the next adventure. As a result we didn't explore any of the museums but we did spend some time checking out all the markets. Most of the pictures below are of the wide range of goods you can find - everything from oversized jewelry to 3 foot long cinnamon sticks.

On our return from Mt. Kinabalu we found a "Texas" restaurant that served great steaks and gin and tonics. After a month of excellent Malaysian food, something a little more familiar was a welcomed treat.

Pictures from KK...

KK

1 comment:

  1. Aileen and Barney,

    OK, I'm really wanting to get to Malaysia now or whereever it is you are, or, have been. If LIndsay decides to do a semester abroad in New Zealand, maybe I can work in some of those places! I loved the videos, especially the green turtle and the wedding dance :). I'm wondering how the transition to the next culture/environment will go. You will be making some leaps, I think. The photos continue to be super, but I saw your big camera in one shot, so I'm not sure which camera you are using. I'm so glad you did the blog. It has been great for us reading it and you'll love going over it when you get back.
    Received the books! Such a surprise! Will start them soon. Thank you so much. I think the day is going to pass pretty quietly, so thanks for thinking of me. I love you two. Take care, Fran

    ReplyDelete